> On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 9:14 AM <kim.kargaard(a)noroff.no&gt; wrote:
>

> Ok, I think I found at least for Nvidia. You can follow what described for
> RHV:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.4/...
>
> In the same manual there are also instructions for vGPU.
>
> There is also the guide for 4.3:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.3/...
>
> Gianluca

Again, that's the easy part that works just fine.
It's afterwards when you try to install the Nvidia driver when there might be
trouble because the driver refused to load on GPUs that aren't permitted to
operate inside a VM, quite independent of the hypervisor (same issue with
VMware, VirtualBox, KVM).

For that there are tricks you'll find on the Internet on how to cheat the
Nvidia driver into believing it's running on a physical machine but on KVM that
implies editing the XML config... which in the case of oVirt seems to be
generated at startup.

So I guess the hooking mechanism can be used to take care of that, but I've not
progressed to that stage myself, mostly because the GPUs I use in the corporate
lab are whitelisted by Nvidia.

And just to give a little credit: Pass-through works very well with oVirt 4.3,
only moving (inactive) VMs from host-to-host is a little more involved, while
GPU live-migration unfortunately is out of the question. That makes perfect
sense for NICs and storage adapters, for GPUs one might argue that their state
could be migrated, too. But Linux doesn't really understand heterogenous
accelerators yet, so oVirt can't do better.