no, but installing ovirt-engine-setup fails in the same way.

But, I was able to find the RHEL8 repo that has javapackages-tools, and
that one gave me apache-commons-compress.   So, I am again making some
progress towards my goals.

--enable=codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms
Repository 'codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms' is enabled for this
system.

[root@r8-bacchus yum.repos.d]# yum module enable javapackages-tools
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Red Hat CodeReady Linux Builder for RHEL 8 x86_ 3.5 MB/s | 4.4 MB     00:01

Dependencies resolved.
 Package           Architecture     Version             Repository
Size
Enabling module streams:
 javapackages-tools
                                    201801

Transaction Summary
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:18 ago on Fri 29 Jan 2021 08:00:02 PM
CST.
Available Packages
Name         : apache-commons-compress
Version      : 1.18
Release      : 1.module+el8+2598+06babf2e
Architecture : noarch
Size         : 526 k
Source       :
apache-commons-compress-1.18-1.module+el8+2598+06babf2e.src.rpm
Repository   : codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms
Summary      : Java API for working with compressed files and archivers

URL          : http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/
License      : ASL 2.0
Description  : The Apache Commons Compress library defines an API for
working
             : with ar, cpio, Unix dump, tar, zip, gzip, XZ, Pack200 and
bzip2
             : files. In version 1.14 read-only support for Brotli
decompression
             : has been added, but it has been removed form this package.