Il giorno dom 4 apr 2021 alle ore 16:13 Nicolas Kovacs <i...@microlinux.fr>
ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a 53-year old Austrian living in Montpezat, a small village in South
> France. I'm an IT professional with a focus on Linux and free software, and
> I've been a Linux user since Slackware 7.1.

Welcome to oVirt community!

> I'm doing web & mail hosting for myself and several small structures like
> our
> local school and a handful of local companies. Up until recently these
> hostings
> have happened on "bare metal" root servers using CentOS 7. One main server
> is
> hosting most of the stuff: WordPress sites, one OwnCloud instance, Dolibarr
> management software, GEPI learning platform, Postfix/Dovecot mail server,
> Roundcube webmail, etc.
>
> This setup has become increasingly problematic to manage, since
> applications
> have more and more specific requirements, like different versions of PHP
> and
> corresponding modules.
>
> So I decided to split everything up nicely into a series of virtual
> machines,
> each one with a nicely tailored setup.
>
> I have a couple of sandbox servers, one public and one local, running
> Oracle
> Linux 7 (a RHEL clone like CentOS). I played around with it, and KVM-based
> virtualization already works quite nicely.
>
> While looking for documentation, I stumbled over oVirt, which I didn't even
> know existed until last week. Before I dive head first into it, I'd be
> curious
> to know a few general things.
>
> 1. Would it be overkill for a small structure like mine?

If you have only a couple of bare metal and a few VMs you may consider more
lightweight virtualization managers like cockpit project machine plugin (
https://cockpit-project.org/guide/latest/feature-virtualmachines ) or
kimchi project (https://github.com/kimchi-project/kimchi ) or virt-manager (
https://virt-manager.org/ )

> 2. Will I be able to do HA on a series of modest KVM-capable root servers
> even
> if they are located in different datacenters across different countries?

I think it mostly depends on the network latency and speed. Having HA with
servers in different countries may be problematic.

> 3. One problem I couldn't resolve using a bone-headed keep-it-simple KVM
> setup
> is backup. For my bare-metal servers I've been using incremental backups
> using
> Rsnapshot for years. Here's a blog article I wrote on the subject:
>
> https://blog.microlinux.fr/rsnapshot-centos-7/
>
> Unfortunately I can't use this approach with huge QCOW images, at least not
> without jumping through burning loops.
>
> Is there an easy way to perform remote incremental backups with oVirt?

There are a few backup vendors that provide solutions for backing up oVirt
VMs, you can just query google for them.

> BTW, I took a peek at Proxmox and Ceph, but I admit I'm a die-hard
> RHEL-clone
> user.
>
> Cheers from the sunny South of France,
>
> Niki
>
> --
> Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
> 7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
> Site : https://www.microlinux.fr
> Blog : https://blog.microlinux.fr
> Mail : i...@microlinux.fr
> Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32
> Mob. : 06 51 80 12 12

Sandro Bonazzola

MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA R&D RHV

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>

sbona...@redhat.com
<https://www.redhat.com/>

*Red Hat respects your work life balance. Therefore there is no need to
answer this email out of your office hours.
<https://mojo.redhat.com/docs/DOC-1199578>*