When creating a snapshot, the volume gets two lv extents (2GB) . But after
deleting the snapshot, the extents are kept and with every Snapshot creation
the volume size increases.
This is really annoying, especially when using snapshot for nightly backup. we
are using oVirt 4.3.10 and we can't upgrade to 4.4

I have read that to shrink the volume the disk reduce command is what helps
here, but the rest api documentation says, that this is only applicable while
vm is not running. crazy as i am, i have called the reduce command while the vm
was running, and it seemed to work. the volume has shrunk and the vm didn't
crash.

But is it save to do so? and why isn't the reduce command is called after
deletion of a snapshot?