On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 7:21 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjo...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 06:37:24PM +0200, Nir Soffer wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 5:46 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjo...@redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > A while back I had oVirt 4.4.7 installed which I used for testing.
> > > For some reason that installation has died in some way, so I'm trying
> > > to install a fresh new oVirt 4.4.10.
> > >
> > > Last time I installed ovirt, it was very easy - I provisioned a couple
> > > of machines, ran engine-setup in one, answered a few questions and
> > > after a few minutes the engine was installed.
> > >
> > > Somehow this has changed and now it's really far more complicated,
> > > involving some ansible things and wanting to create VMs and ssh
> > > everywhere.
> > >
> > > Can I go back to the old/easy way of installing oVirt engine?  And if
> > > so, what happened to the instructions for that?
> >
> > engine-setup still works, maybe you can give move details on what went
> > wrong?
>
> So I managed to dnf install /usr/bin/engine-setup.  When I ran it, it
> wanted to connect to an external PostgreSQL server.  I'm pretty sure
> that never happened last time.
>
> TBH I'm also going to erase everything and start again because I've
> been round several loops here already.
>
> Do we recommend RHEL or CentOS as the initial OS?

For 4.4.10 your best option is RHEL 8.5.

I'm not sure about the status of the RHEL clones (e.g. Rocky). In the past
they were missing the advanced virtualization packages, and could be
installed using Centos advanced virtuatation packages which probably are not
available now (EOL).

If you cannot use RHEL, Centos Stream 8 is the only option. This is the
version we test on in ovirt system tests.

I don't know about any issue with Centos Stream 8 for engine host, but for
hosts you are stuck with qemu-6.0, since qemu-6.1 is broken, and 6.2 is
not available.

Nir