On Wed, 23 Feb 2022, matthew.st...@fujitsu.com wrote:

I’ve always been told that migrating self-hosted-engine storage was a
backup, shutdown, and rebuild from backup procedure.

In my iscsi environment it has never worked.  (More due to the history of my
environment, than the procedure itself.)

This didn't work for me either, though it may have had to do with the many issues I had moving from 4.3 to 4.4. What did work was backing up and restoring to a standalone engine.

I had initially planned to migrate it back to a self-hosted setup later, but found that this setup is a lot less temperamental than the self-hosted engine. It also doesn't have to be a dedicated machine, it can be a VM hosted outside of oVirt, which may also be useful if you're hosting some stuff needed for bootstrapping the environment like DNS, NTP, etc. outside of oVirt.