Hi Fran,

thanks for helping me.

I have defined a separate fqdn and ip address for the engine - sorry for not mentioning that. It is also in /etc/hosts.

The problem seems to be the following:

The error message is thrown by ansible if

            he_host_ip not in target_address_v4.stdout_lines and
            he_host_ip not in target_address_v6.stdout_lines

and grepping he_host_ip from ovirt-hosted-engine-setup-ansible-initial_clean-XYZ.log turns out to be the ip address of the physical interface but target_address_v4 is explicitly set to "ip addr show" of the vlan interface.

Since I defined the vlan interface as bridge interface in the VM settings for the engine this seems strange to me.

What is more strange: If I put in the physical host interface as bridge interface the error does not occur, but then the Engine-VM is bound to the default libvirt bridge (which I did not want it to) and the setup process fails with "There was a failure deploying the engine on the local engine VM." which I now have to analyze.

Is my idea of binding the bridge to the vlan interface to have a management network there completely wrong?

I did not manage to find any docs on what the cockpit module expects there, and the ovirt setup docs are also very sparse - can you point me to some in depth examples of the requirements the self hosted engine setup expects?

Cheers,

Dirk