On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 9:49 AM <lars.sto...@bvg.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we can't import some OVA VMs into oVirt, that was previously exported in
> oVirt.
> Further investigations and testing showed, that in some vm.ovf files the
> last closing tag is missing ( </ovf:Envelope instead of </ovf:Envelope> ).
>
> Intense testing showed the following occurrence:
> on test DC (4.4.10.7-1):
> - about half of the VMs have that problem (about 9 VMs)
> - VMs where the export is working properly are ok, no matter how often i
> do export
> - VMs who's vm.ovf is wrong stay that way, no matter how often i do export
>
> on production DC (4.4.10.7-1):
> - all VMs have that problem (49 VMs)
> - an imported "good" VM formerly exported on test DC, now have a wrong
> vm.ovf too after re-exporting on production DC
> - vm.ovf of all VMs stay incorrect, no matter how often i do export
>
> on develop DC (4.5.4-1):
> - the only VM have that problem (1 VM)
> - vm.ovf of VMs stay incorrect, no matter how often i do export
>
> Environment:
> all DC have independent hardware and are built exactly the same way with
> the same components
> oVirt is with hosted-engine
>
> test and production:
> oVirt: 4.4.10.7-1
> engine OS: Cent OS Stream 8
> host OS: RHEL 8.7
>
> develop:
> oVirt: 4.5.4-1
> engine OS: Cent OS Stream 8 (latest updates till September 1st)
> host OS: RHEL 8.8 (latest updates till September 1st)
>
> Is that a known problem?

Nope

> Is there a way to fix this?

We use the same components that we use for OVAs also for writing OVFs of
snapshots and for writing domain XMLs so I doubt the problem is on the
ovirt-engine side (as we would have seen more severe issues)

We store the OVF in the OVA with a Python script that runs on the host so
I'd suggest to look for a message that starts with "writing ovf:" in its
log [1] to see whether the script was provided with the complete XML from
ovirt-engine

If the complete XML was provided, you can change the pack_ova.py script on
the ovirt-engine side to debug why it's not stored properly in the tar
(OVA) file

[1]
https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine/blob/c4fe7d6fb652c83c638d446bb861cfeac52bd47f/packaging/ansible-runner-service-project/project/roles/ovirt-ova-pack/files/pack_ova.py#L45