Hi,

in our environment (Version 4.4.10.7) we use fibre channel LUNs, which we
attach directly to the VMs (as Direct LUN) with VirtIO-SCSI and SCSI
pass-through enabled. The virtual machines run an application that requires
4096 as physical_block_size and 512 as logical_block_size. For this reason, we
had to enable SCSI pass-through. Only with SCSI pass-through the correct
physical_block_size is passed through to the VM.

Now we have the following problem on just about every VM:

Error messages of the following form occur in the VMs (in /var/log/messages):
kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 352194592 op 0x1:(WRITE)
flags 0xc800 phys_seg 16 prio class 0

This error message coincides with a crash of the application. The error message
seems to belong to SCSI.

We are currently trying to find an alternative to SCSI pass-through. We want to
use VirtIO and somehow pass the physical_block_size. Since the XML files of the
VMs are transient, we cannot make any changes there.

Does anyone have an idea what the error could be or how to pass the correct
physical_block_size? Could VDSM hooks help with this?

Thank you and regards
Miguel