On the weekend I upgraded my self-hosted oVirt engine to 4.56.  All went well
with that!

I also spotted that there was an update for all my 4.54 nodes, but something
has changed with the repo overnight because none of my nodes see updates
anymore, though the update remains available here …
https://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-4.5/iso/ovirt-node-ng-installer/.

Yesterday, I attempted to update just one of my nodes and ran into this snag…
“Local storage domains were found on the same filesystem as / ! Please migrate
the data to a new LV before upgrading, or you will lose the VMs”.

I’ve always stored my VMs in a separate /DATA directory off the root
filesystem, and shared the local storage using NFS.  I know it’s not ideal, but
with good frequent regular backups, it has served me well for many years.

A Google search revealed, that others have also had similar local storage
issues, and suggestions on ways to mitigate the issue, including  the oVirt
documentation found here…
https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/upgrade_guide/index.html#Upgrading_hypervisor_preserving_local_storage_4-3_local_db,
 is not my preferred fix.

In the past node updates with my local storage were not a problem and were easy
peasy!  From some of the discussions I saw at Red Hat, I have deduced (maybe
wrongly) that there was an issue that necessitated a fix, which introduced a
required check for local storage during the upgrade process.

I probably should move all the local storage off the oVirt nodes, but at this
time, that is easier said than done.

I’m posting here only to see if there are perhaps other ideas or perspectives I
may not have thought of and should consider with my local storage.

Thank you all in advance, much appreciated, and of course, thank you all for
supporting oVirt!