Tilman, thanks for the reply.  I replied to you on stackoverflow, but
thought I'd add here as well, in case someone else has the same problem and
searches the archive.

I figured this out. I had to remove the PDThreadBead (setThreadBeads) on
each page after importPage and before saving it. I went through the process
of elimination here. Page looks great. I'm not sure what a thread bead is
(can't seem to find it anywhere on the web) and class docs don't help.
Thanks!