I have a PDF workflow where I take a base document with forms, then
append a footer that puts values in the form fields and save the
result, then open it with PDFBox and flatten it:

doc = PDDocument.load(tempFile);
doc.getDocumentCatalog().getAcroForm().flatten();

Then I add an image to the page and save and close the doc:

PDPage page = doc.getPage(0);
PDImageXObject image = LosslessFactory.createFromImage(doc,
toBufferedImage(generateBarcode("PC"+pcId)));
PDPageContentStream contentStream = new PDPageContentStream(doc, page,
PDPageContentStream.AppendMode.APPEND, true);
contentStream.drawImage(image, 246, 36 );
contentStream.close();
doc.save(tempFile);
doc.close();

Finally, I print it from the command line.  With PDFBox 2.0.5 the
resulting document prints fine.  I'm using this command on macOS:

/usr/bin/lpr -P TestPrinter -o InputSlot=Tray2 file.pdf

With PDFBox 2.0.11 when I do the same, the form fields all come
through as empty on the printout.  (They do appear when I open the doc
in Preview.)

I don't really know why; I just tried updating to the latest on a
lark.  It feels like the flattening failed on 2.0.11.  The printer is
a bit dated and I think I went with flattening in the first place
because that was the only way to get the doc to print correctly from
the command line.

I will stick with 2.0.5 for now because for this case it's critical
that the printouts work.  :)

Thanks,
      Aaron

Output from 2.0.5: http://opentools.org/files/print-job-2514255277731407198.pdf