Hi Joshua,

> I'm trying to install QPID M4 (a recent RC) on RHEL4.

Ok.

> RHEL4 only has boost 1.32.  QPID obviously prefers a newer version
of
> boost, but there is the boost-1.32-support directory which
> I've applied, but I still can't get it to build.

Do you get past the configure?

> I'm not trying anything fancy with the configure command.
>
> Here is the end of the configure output:
> checking for ruby... ruby
> ls:
> /home/jdboyd/work/jmgr/build/msgLayer/qpid-M4//home/jdboyd/wor
> k/jmgr/src/msgLayer/qpid-M4/cpp/../specs/amqp.0-10-qpid-errata
> .xml: No such file or directory

Missing xml file is a problem... It looks as though the path it's
looking in may be wrong. Are you cd'd to the qpid .../cpp directory?

> checking boost/shared_ptr.hpp usability... yes
> checking boost/shared_ptr.hpp presence... yes
> checking for boost/shared_ptr.hpp... yes
> checking uuid/uuid.h usability... yes
> checking uuid/uuid.h presence... yes
> checking for uuid/uuid.h... yes
> checking for main in -lboost_filesystem... yes
> checking for main in -lboost_program_options... yes
> checking for main in -lboost_system... no
> checking for main in -lboost_filesystem-d... no
> checking for main in -lboost_program_options-d... no
> checking for main in -lboost_system-d... no
> configure: error: Boost libraries could not be found.
>
> I've also attached the config.log file.
>
> I've checked and I definitely don't have libboost_system-d or any
> libboost_system libraries on the system, which seems to be
> something new to newer versions of boost.
>
> Is the boost-1.32-support stuff outdated and not going to be
supported
> any further?

I'm not sure of the official position on boost 1.32... Do you need
this to work? Can you use boost 1.35?

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Check out my networked programming blog at