Sorry for the while weekend passed before I replied; it was a busy one.
Anyway, based off all of your suggestions, I ran perftest, and wasn't
able to reproduce my results.  After a few more hours on Sunday night, I
realized that the problem was...sigh...between the chair and the
keyboard...one of those remarkable "How did this EVER work" errors.
Really sorry for wasting your time.

Anyway, thank you all for your help, and congratulations on a piece of
software that is apparently smarter than me. :)
-Rob