If the callback method returns IMessage itself, then the user has to get
application headers out of it, then get at the actual attributes.  That
looks unintuitive to me since the attributes of message are the most
important piece of the message.  Bypassing IMessage completely also doesn't
make sense since it does contain useful information.  Perhaps somehow making
IMessage a type of dictionary directly (rather than making
ApplicationHeaders a member of IMessage) will do the trick?