Hi Jason,

> I'm getting the error mentioned in the subject line
> ("Operation not permitted
> (qpid/sys/epoll/EpollPoller.cpp:254)") when my c++ client
> tries to connect to the broker.

Ok; could you please report this in a jira?
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/qpid)

> I dug into the source code and here's the relevant excerpt:
>
> 244     PollerPrivate() :
> 245         epollFd(::epoll_create(DefaultFds)),
> 246         isShutdown(false) {
> 247         QPID_POSIX_CHECK(epollFd);
> 248         ::sigemptyset(&sigMask);
> 249         // Add always readable fd into our set (but not
> listening to it yet)
> 250         ::epoll_event epe;
> 251         epe.events = 0;
> 252         epe.data.u64 = 0;
> 253         QPID_POSIX_CHECK(::epoll_ctl(epollFd, EPOLL_CTL_ADD,
> alwaysReadableFd, &epe));
> 254     }
>
> (I assume that the exception was actually thrown by line 253
> which might be a two line macro or something of the sort).

No, I believe the line numbers should match, so you may be looking at
source slightly different from what you're running. For now let's assume
it's just off by a line, but you should check into this further.

> I think it's relevant that I *only* get an error from
> epoll_ctl when my client is running as a daemon (but at this
> point I'm not sure why).

alwaysReadableFd is for a pipe - is there a chance you've closed it?

> Is this a known issue in the qpid c++ client with respect to
> integrating it into daemon code (or just a known issue
> period)?  Any hints on where to look for conflicts between
> epoll_ctl and my daemon code ?

It's not a known problem, so please open a jira for it. Also, please be
sure you're running the same version of the code you're reading.

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Total Lifecycle Support for Your Networked Applications