On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 08:10 -0500, Wes Parish wrote:
> We have a broker with a modest amount of RAM, but a very large disk capacity.
>  Can we create a small in-memory queue, but a large associated journal (for
> persistence)?  Basically, we want to allow a persistent queue to hold a
> larger number of elements than the broker has physical RAM to store in the
> in-memory queue.
>
> Wes

Currently the broker cannot split a message while processing it; it must
hold the entire message in memory before processing it. Consequently,
the machine's memory will impose a limit on how large a message you can
handle.

If a message fits into memory, flow-to-disk policy can be used to force
these messages (or any messages over a pre-set threshold of either size
or number) to disk and release them from memory; they will be reloaded
when they are consumed again (at some performance cost). However these
policies are scoped to individual queues at the moment and cannot act
across multiple queues nor on a global basis.