Hi Brian,

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Are you running the same test scenario as described in 3.3 of that
> > document? I.e. Simulating "60 AMQP clients talking to the
> AMQP broker
> > with 10 shared queues". (That is not what you get for perftest with
> > 'default settings' which is why I ask what may be a stupid
> question).
>
> I'm not. I wanted to start by trying to get a baseline stat
> for one queue (that is, how fast can Qpid serve one
> session?). The actual scenario I'm working with is closer to:
>
>   ./perftest --mode topic --count 100000 --npubs 4 --size 100
> --pub-confirm no -s
>
> I had installed on a Windows box, but I'm comparing it to a
> Linux box now, and the Linux box is trouncing it. From the
> comments here, it sounds like I'll need to go Linux if I ever
> hope to get any performance out of it.

Just a note... I worked on the Windows port and I can tell you we never
tuned the performance, analyzed bottlenecks, etc. I don't know if a
small amount of such analysis and tuning could get much improved
performance, but it's a possibility you may want to consider in the
grand scheme of things.

> I had hoped there was
> something simple I wasn't doing or some build option I could
> change, but it sounds like the OS is a major factor.
>
> On the above test:
>
> Windows 2003 (8-core)
> Pubs: 5671 msg/sec
> Subs: 8672 msg/sec
> Total: 17262 msg/sec
> Throughput: 1.64 MiB/s
>
> Debian Linux (1-core?)
> Pubs: 5892 msg/sec
> Subs: 11343 msg/sec
> Total: 22687 msg/sec
> Throughput: 2.16 MiB/s

Oh my - that is bad. I'm not a Windows bigot but I'd think that it
should be closer than that.

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Total Lifecycle Support for Your Networked Applications