Ah, I get it - thanks.

For the module extending qpid, you can write a plug-in but, as you note,
there are no API-level docs for that. You'd have to read the existing
plug-in code (the message stores are plug-ins, as is , I believe, the
SSL module on Linux). But you'd then have to interact with queues and
exchanges from inside the broker environment and I would not want to try
that, especially for an experiment to see if qpid works. I recommend the
separate process route.

-Steve