I've a question about ring queue memory allocation/deallocation.

So as items get added to a ring queue in the c++ broker clearly memory starts to get used up, but a colleague of mine mentioned that for a given queue size (IIRC the queue was 1GB) it seems to be the case that over time the memory gets used up but it doesn't seem to get released again.

We hypothesised that this might be deliberate and the ring queue might well do its own memory management (object pools or the like) and reclaim allocated memory rather than deleting it.

It's kind of second hand as I've not noticed this myself (I've not really looked) but the way it was reported to me was that the memory seems to grow when the queue fills up to roughly the queue size, but then doesn't reduce again even when there are next to no messages on the queue.

Is this observation accurate?

Cheers,
Frase