Hey all - there's an unchecked error condition in EpollPoller.cpp that we ran into, but I wanted to check in here before opening a bug, since as far as I can tell, it can only be triggered if another error is present elsewhere.

To keep a long story short, there was a bug in one of our programs wherein a thread could call close() on what was effectively a random socket. Occasionally, it would happen to call close() on the alwaysReadableFd registered in the PollerPrivate constructor, which would result in an epoll event for that FD to be returned in the call to epoll_wait() on line 568. It'd then try to dereference the event's "ptr" element (which was set to 0x1 on registration for that FD), which would lead to a segfault.

Since the root problem is absolutely in our software, and not in Qpid, I wasn't sure if you [the maintainers] wanted an issue opened to perhaps catch the error condition and log a message, rather than throwing a segfault. IMO, either answer makes sense.

Thanks!
-rob