Assuming you mean /etc/sasl2/qpidd.conf file (i.e. SASL config file, not
/etc/qpidd.conf, the broker conf.file), then yes.

> ii)If more than one authentication mechanism is present in qpidd.conf file
> then should I mention the auth type through the api I am trying to connect ?
It depends. Without specifying it, the client choses the most secure from the
list. If that is suitable for your purposes, you dont need to specify the
mechanism in API. But if e.g. the mech_list contains PLAIN and also DIGEST-MD5,
and you would like to use the less secure PLAIN in some client, you have to
specify it.

> What is the default authentication mechanism qpidd uses if no mechanism is
> present in the qpidd.conf file ?
By default, ANONYMOUS, PLAIN, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5 and GSSAPI mechanisms
(listed from least secure to most) are available and offered to a client.
(technically, there is also EXTERNAL mechanism for SSL but I suppose that isnt
relevant to you).

Note that the list can be shorter if you dont have installed relevant
cyrus-sasl libraries.