Sascha,

The Python bindings for Proton are only needed for running the tests and for running the qdstat utility. Since qdstat uses AMQP, it can be installed on a separate system and used to manage/monitor dispatch over the network. So the Python Proton bindings are not needed to run Dispatch.

However, Dispatch does need the python interpreter to be installed to run since it uses embedded Python code to manage the configuration and to do route computation. The fast path is pure C but the control plane (route computation) is embedded Python.

-Ted