On Fri, 2014-02-07 at 16:48 +0000, Fraser Adams wrote:
> ... TBH I mainly mentioned it because when I was going
> through my exercise of trying out various AMQP 1.0 subscribers I was
> starting to find the:
>
> --connection-options {protocol:amqp1.0}
>
> A little bit less aesthetically pleasing than the sort of
>
> amqp://localhost:5672

The issue here is which protocol the client initiates the connection
with. Really what would be most convenient would be for the client to
try 1.0 and if it fails to try 0-10.

However, due to the way that protocol switching works, the client can't
easily do this (by the time we get the protocol rejection we're in the
specific 0-10 or 1.0 implementation already).

So I think you could regard the "protocol" connection option as a hint
of which protocol to try, and in a better implementation it would not be
needed at all.

Also I think it would be fair that in a future release the default might
switch from 0-10 to 1.0 when that becomes the most implemented protocol
version.

Andrew