Hi Kyrie,
not sure if I understand your thoughts properly, but in normal A-->B federation
(without -s option), B broker behaves as a fake client and subscribes to A.
When -s is used, A initiates the connection to B and requests it to connect to
itself. The main reason for this push-like option is to bypass potential
firewall blocking B->A connection establishment.

About federation link reconnection (assuming A-->B pull route where B connects
to A): if A is down, B periodically retries to connect to A, usually according
to TCP retry scheme with doubled delays between two subsequent retries. These
are managed by operating system. Once OS gives up, I *suppose* qpid broker
invokes another request to the OS (so another full TCP retry scheme is
followed), and the broker does so forever.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Pavel Moravec