On 18 December 2014 at 15:10, Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 12/18/2014 01:46 PM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

>>> Only in the case that the node name is ambiguous though, right? I.e. only
>>> if
>>> there exists both a queue and a topic with the same name. (Intermediaries
>>> shouldn't need to care, providing the annotations are defined such that
>>> they
>>> can be passed on without understanding them which they would need to be
>>> anyway for correct JMS behaviour at the receiving client).
>>>

>> Mostly in that case, but not always. There might be only one "foo"
>> that exists when they reply, but it might not be the correct type of
>> "foo" any more.
>>
>> Warning, completely contrived example: An application sets JMSReplyTo
>> to a Queue "response" that currently exists and then sends it to the
>> "request" queue. Message sits on "request" Queue for a while.  Someone
>> decides to delete the "response" Queue because they think they are
>> done with it. Someone else creates a "response" Topic. A client which
>> doesnt understand the annotations/capabilities consumes the message
>> and proceeds to created a producer and reply to "response".  That
>> message is going to end up in the wrong place if we rely on the
>> address, since it will match but the missing annotations/capabilities
>> would have told us it isnt the correct destiantion.
>

> It is indeed a contrived example, and one that wouldn't work anyway. It
> doesn't seem more wrong to me under those circumstances that the message
> goes to the newly created topic than that it got dropped or a sender to the
> address could not be created. (If anything it seems better and more
> adaptable to be able to change the configuration of a node, and the topic v.
> queue thing is to be just an extreme reconfiguration).

To me it does, I would expect creation of the sender to fail (thats
why I put that step in instead of saying just 'send the message') or
the message to be rejected.

>>> I don't really like dividing the namespace by type. Many applications
>>> shouldn't need to care about the type. Having to change the node name to
>>> get
>>> a different behaviour, rather than just changing the configuration of
>>> that
>>> node seems undesirable to me, at least for some cases.
>>>

>> I dont like it either, but as the spec only gives one namespace and
>> JMS requires multiple spaces I dont see another way which works.
>

> I don't think it actively requires distinct namespaces. The 'recommended'
> approach with JMS is to use Destinations retrieved by a logical name from
> JNDI.

Ok, shall we instead say it is allowed and people sometimes use it.

JNDI vs non-JNDI isnt doesnt really change this, since the JNDI lookup
name is distinct from the provider-specific destination string (which
is a large part of the reason it is 'recommended' to use JNDI, I
believe).

> Setting up both a queue and a topic with the same name is possible, but not
> in my view required.
>
> To be clear, I'm not saying there shouldn't be a good solution for the (I
> believe very rare) cases where that is unavoidable. There should be. I'm
> just saying we shouldn't take the type split address space as an accepted
> norm for AMQP.
>
>> It
>> would have been nice if the core 1.0 spec handled this 'type' in some
>> way. It does for the message transfer formats for example, just not
>> for the things they are being sent to.
>>
>> JMS does have the different types, and expects them to behave in
>> certain ways. For a JMS applications behaviour to be affected such as
>> in that contrived example above is also not very nice.
>

> For that particular example, I don't think it matters much. Personally I
> would in fact prefer to be able to redefine a node that was previously a
> queue to be a topic (or to be some hybrid).
>
>>> While I wouldn't necessarily object to use of address prefixes in cases
>>> where disambiguation is needed, I would be disappointed if that were to
>>> become the accepted or even 'blessed' pattern.
>>>
>>> If a broker receives an attach to/from a node 'foo' and there is either a
>>> queue or a topic of that name (but not both), I think they should resolve
>>> the name to that existing entity. They should not *require* you to
>>> specify a
>>> prefix when there is no ambiguity.
>>

>> In the JMS case I think there will always be ambiguity without a
>> naming scheme and/or metadata.
>

> I'm not sure what you mean there.

I mean the node address isnt always sufficient to indicate what type
of node it is is.

>> As I have said before in other
>> contexts, if the application wants to use a JMS Topic "foo", it would
>> preferable it didnt get attached to a Queue "foo" because that
>> happened to be there.
>

> Right, that I agree with. That to me is simply about asserting that the
> capabilities you expect/require are in fact in place. (I do think it should
> also be possible to have clients/applications that don't care).
>
>>> A further complication is where nodes are created on-demand as attach
>>> requests are made. However in this case the broker can provide the means
>>> define patterns allowing particular node names to be matched to desired
>>> policy.
>>>

>> In addition to allowing the client to optionally assert it is getting
>> the behaviour it wants, creating nodes on demand is another reason we
>> defined capabilities for the different JMS destintion types (needed
>> for temporary queue vs topic, but useful for queue vs topic if the
>> broker supports auto-creating those with arbitrary addresses).
>

> I don't object to the capabilities. They seem very much in keeping with the
> intentions of the spec and can be more broadly utilised. (Indeed qpidd
> recognises those two capabilities already).

That is one of the reasons they were chosen :)

>>> Even the simplest example may require some configuration of the broker in
>>> the form of creating the required queue/topic (unless they are created
>>> on-demand).
>>>

>> This is true. I was speaking about the client, I didnt mean to suggest
>> additional steps wouldnt still be needed for the broker.
>>
>>> If brokers can handle the non-ambiguous case without prefixing, which I
>>> think is the ideal, then simply configuring the broker for the name used
>>> by
>>> the example should be sufficient. (In fact having the name the example
>>> uses
>>> be a command line option would also make sense, making adaptation even
>>> easier).
>>>

>> As above, I dont think there is a non-ambugious case for JMS.
>

> I disagree.
>
>> I also
>> dont mean to suggest the example cant have configuration so a user
>> could e.g use it with a different queue they already had rather than
>> create a new one, just that it would be nice if they didnt almost
>> always have to actually configure it.
>

> I agree. However I would rather tackle that at its root, by trying to build
> some consensus and eliminating the differences in broker behaviour.
>
> Having optional workarounds to paper over the differences is fine, but
> baking that into the standardised mapping seems to me to be not just
> condoning, but encouraging a distortion of the model purely for expediency
> in JMS (without to my mind much *real* benefit even there).

>>> I think 'recommended' practice should be to avoid ambiguous node names.
>>>
>>> I accept of course that we have to be able to cope with the situations
>>> where
>>> they exist (this is the case for brokers built around the pre 1.0 AMQP
>>> model
>>> of exchanges and queues also). These should be seen as workarounds corner
>>> cases however, not standardised as 'normal' behaviour.
>>>

>> I would say this is a normal behaviour for JMS, not really a corner case.
>

> You think it is normal to have a queue and a topic of the same name?
>
> I don't think I have ever seen such a system where that wasn't considered a
> misconfiguration (that was causing confusing regardless of whether these
> were unambiguously addressed at the protocol level).

I am not saying I would do it personally, but I have seen it done yes.

>>> Personally I think the behaviour you describe already in the JMS clients
>>> -
>>> the ability to configure the client to use prefixing - is sufficient. I
>>> don't think it needs to be something blessed by the AMQP mapping
>>> specification.
>>>

>> I think it solves the problem if you use it (or will do if we
>> incorporate the white/blacklisting idea in some way to prevent messing
>> with certain addresses), it would just be nice if it was slightly
>> slicker.
>>
>> The old client wont work against 2 of our 4 brokers without
>> configuring that. Due to its heritage, the new client currently has
>> its prefixes defaulted to work with one of those brokers, and so it
>> will behave oddly or not work against the 3 others unless it is
>> reconfigured.
>>
>> Adding a mechanism to convey the prefix automatically was simply a way
>> to avoid such hassle in some cases, and in others it wont be used and
>> would thus have no effect (potentially at the expense of needing to
>> ensure applications dont use JMS queues and Topics with the same
>> name).
>

> As above, I don't object to an optional extension that defines a mechanism
> for prefixing. However I don't think it should be required or encouraged as
> the 'right' way.

It was always intended to be an optional mechanism. I definitely dont
want to define a requirement for prefixing or a mandated prefix in the
JMS mapping, I dont feel that we can do that.

I am now inclined to treat anything we do in this area an
implementation detail, much like JMS does itself for naming (and I
guess the AMQP 1.0 core protocol also), rather than define it in the
mapping.

Robbie