The certDb (proton:
pn_ssl_domain_t::pn_ssl_domain_trusted_certificate_db) is the
database/collection/store of CA certificates which are used to
validate the authenticity of the peer's certificate (client or
server).  For self signed certificates, at least the public portion of
the certificate itself must be in the database (since it is its own
CA).

The trustedCerts (proton
pn_ssl_domain_t::pn_ssl_domain_set_peer_authentication) is a
server-only attribute specifying the list of CA's that will be
included in the "client certificate request" portion of the first SSL
handshake packet from the server to the client.  In theory, Proton
could allow the application examine this list and provide its
preferred client certificate for that server, but it currently
requires a single certificate to be specified before socket creation,
and it does not change during SSL negotiation.  Proton could also
allow the server to change the list based on the client's IP address
or other client hello context, but again the value is fixed before
listener socket creation.

I am not sure if there is a good use case to specify the two with
different values for messaging applications requiring client
certificates, but the ability is there for the static case.  They are
separately (and dynamically between handshake stages) configurable in
both OpenSSL and SChannel, so it is clear some SSL applications need
the flexibility.