On Fri, 2015-08-28 at 06:46 +0000, Aschenbrenner, Erik wrote:
> Hi Paolo, hi Chuck!
>

> Nice to see some other AMQP experts here on the user list.
>
> In your blogs you deal with Wireshark to trace and dissect AMPQ
> traffic. Did you ever try to dissect encrypted AMQP traffic with
> Wireshark? Because in real word AMQP traffic may be encrypted (at
> least in the one real world application I'm working on). In the
> Wireshark forum (https://ask.wireshark.org/questions/43961/amqp-10-tr
> affic-not-dissected-with-wireshark-1126) the creator of the AMQP
> dissector for Wireshark said that there is now way to decode
> encrypted traffic in Wireshark. Maybe this would be an idea for
> another blog post to find out if this is true ;-)

This is not a problem specific to AMQP. The point of encryption is to
make it impossible to read the encrypted data, wireshark can't do
anything to get around that.

It is a "layered" problem - for example the TCP headers of an encrypted
SSL connection are not themselves encrypted otherwise they couldn't be
routed. So wireshark can show you that there are TCP packets with SSL
encrypted contents, but can't show you the content.

All the Qpid tools use SSL or SASL to create a fully encrypted "tunnel"
through which AMQP traffic passes. There's no way for wireshark to see
inside this tunnel. An application could encrypt just the message
contents and leave the AMQP protocol in the clear but I don't think
that is common practice.