On Fri, 2015-10-02 at 10:51 -0400, Ted Ross wrote:

>> https://netprototalk.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/amqp-as-a-network-proto
>> col
>>
>> This is the first of a planned series of articles about AMQP, message
>> routing, and distributed-system use cases.

We tried to use AMQP v1.0 as a network protocol, and ran into a host of
problems.

Firewalls hate long lived TCP connections, and AMQP doesn’t seem to have a
mechanism to deal with this. After 15 minutes the TCP connection would be
silently dropped, the server assumed the client had died, and the client
assumed the server was just being quiet. Our system would only work for 15
minutes at a time.

We eventually changed our model to create a brand new connection to the AMQP
server, attempt to receive exactly one message, then gracefully shut down the
connection on each request, then rinse repeat.

What we were doing that was special was dealing with small numbers of very
expensive messages (each message triggered an expensive processing job that
took many minutes to complete). AMQP didn’t handle that scenario well at all.

Regards,
Graham
—