On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Ken Giusti <kgiu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I've hit what looks like a packaging problem with the released QPID Proton
> packages up on our project's PPA @Launchpad.
>
> In a 'clean' Ubuntu Trusty system I added the 'released' repository and
> updated.
>
> I then attempted to apt-get install libqpid-proton-dev, and got this:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install libqpid-proton-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  libqpid-proton-dev : Depends: libqpid-proton2 (= 0.7-4~trusty) but it is
> not going to be installed
>

> Hrm - why is libqpid-proton-dev dependent on libqpid-proton2 version
> 0.7-4?  That can't be correct.
>
> Also:
>
> $ apt-cache search libqpid-proton
> libqpid-proton2 - C libraries for Qpid Proton
> libqpid-proton2-dev - Development libraries for writing messaging apps
> with Qpid Proton
> libqpid-proton2-dev-examples - Example applications for writign messaging
> apps with Qpid Proton
> libqpid-proton2-dev-doc - Developer documentation for Qpid Proton
> libqpid-proton-dev - Development libraries for writing messaging apps with
> Qpid Proton
> libqpid-proton-dev-examples - Example applications for writign messaging
> apps with Qpid Proton
> libqpid-proton-dev-doc - Developer documentation for Qpid Proton
> libqpid-proton3 - C libraries for Qpid Proton
> libqpid-proton3-dev - Development libraries for writing messaging apps
> with Qpid Proton
> libqpid-proton3-dev-examples - Example applications for writign messaging
> apps with Qpid Proton
> libqpid-proton3-dev-doc - Developer documentation for Qpid Proton
>
> Should the 0.7 stuff (*-proton2) be available from that repository?  And
> why is there a libqpid-proton-dev virtual package and not a libqpid-proton
> one?
>
> I got around the problem by explicitly installing the libqpid-proton3*
> packages:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install libqpid-proton3 libqpid-proton3-dev
>
> I'm no expert at all things apt/Debian, but the above behavior seems wrong
> to me.  Any idea what's going on?
>
> thanks
>
> -K

Hey Ken,

It looks like you might have some outdated information in your local cache,
or perhaps you have multiple PPAs bringing in conflicting information? I
haven't used the "released" PPA, as it was not up to date until Irina
recently moved my packages from "testing" over there - but I can say for a
fact that we do multiple builds a day with clean trusty installs where this
works just fine.

Having said that, there was discussion of an upcoming qpid-cpp release at
which point I committed to making a new release on the "testing" branch,
and generally clean up the PPAs as a whole.

There was a message sometime last month up here about someone having issues
with the PPA packages as well, resulting from conflicting cached PPA
information so you might look there? I wish I could be more help, but
frankly the debian packages are best-effort at this point.

Matt