On Wed, 2017-01-04 at 09:36 +0000, Adel Boutros wrote:
> Thank you Andrew for this clear explanation.
>

> Epoll is not supported on Solaris. So we will have to think of an
> alternative for this OS (poll which you suggested should work).
>

> As for libuv, we are currently compiling Proton 0.16.0 without it
> because we don't have bandwidth to check if libuv is working on
> Solaris. I will have to discuss internally to see if we can allocate
> some bandwidth to dealing with libuv on Solaris. If you have any
> input at this level, we will highly appreciate it.

I think it is highly likely that libuv will work on Solaris (although I
haven't tried it myself).

My reason for thinking this is that libuv is an outcome of the Node.js
project. The major sponsor for this project was (is?) Joyent whose
business was based around a Solaris derivative (Illumos I think).

This in turn is because the principals of Joyent were kernel engineers
at Sun (responsible amongst other things for DTrace).

Put another way - anywhere Node.js runs you;d expect libuv to run as
Node.js depends on libuv.

> Alan Conway stated in another discussion that libuv should fix the
> slowness we detected in the event injection API. I don't know if
> poll/epoll would also address this issue which is a bit critical for
> us.

I think he said that the proactor based interface would be the
important aspect of the speed up rather than libuv per se. So you
should get that speed up (eventually).

Andrew