Hi all,

The Qpid Java Broker team came to the realization that we have a gap
in our system tests for Qpid Java Broker. At the moment our system
tests are based on API provided by JMS client implementations. The JMS
API does not allow us to test all aspects of AMQP implementation on
broker side. Thus, we are looking into introduction of special system
tests which would allow to test AMQP communication between test
clients and broker. We need a framework which would allow us to test
broker responses on receiving various test AMQP frames.

Ideally we would like to have an ability within the test framework to
build AMQP test frames, send them to the Broker and assert the Broker
response frame(s). We are looking into testing of AMQP 1.0 but
potentially the test framework can be expanded to test earlier AMQP
protocols.

It seems that proton-j is a good candidate for writing such testing
framework. However, before jumping into implementation with proton-j I
would like to understand what are the testing approaches used by other
projects within Qpid space and outside Qpid. Perhaps, we can re-use
other project testing frameworks for testing Qpid Java Broker.

Potentially we can try to use "Qpid Client Interoperability Test
Suite" for implementing such tests but I am not sure about
practicality of such approach, as the Test Suite seems is testing a
set of predefined scenarios. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

More over, I tried to build the Test Suite following the instructions
provided in QUICKSTART but make failed with the below
[  2%] Building CXX object
shims/qpid-proton-cpp/src/CMakeFiles/Common.dir/qpidit/QpidItErrors.cpp.o
In file included from
/home/alex/workspace/qpid-interop-test/shims/qpid-proton-cpp/src/qpidit/QpidItErrors.cpp:22:0:
/home/alex/workspace/qpid-interop-test/shims/qpid-proton-cpp/src/qpidit/QpidItErrors.hpp:25:24:
fatal error: json/value.h: No such file or directory
 #include <json/value.h>                       ^
compilation terminated.
shims/qpid-proton-cpp/src/CMakeFiles/Common.dir/build.make:62: recipe
for target
'shims/qpid-proton-cpp/src/CMakeFiles/Common.dir/qpidit/QpidItErrors.cpp.o'
failed
make[2]: ***
[shims/qpid-proton-cpp/src/CMakeFiles/Common.dir/qpidit/QpidItErrors.cpp.o]
Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:803: recipe for target
'shims/qpid-proton-cpp/src/CMakeFiles/Common.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [shims/qpid-proton-cpp/src/CMakeFiles/Common.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Please let me know if we can reuse any existing AMQP testing
framework. That would save some time for "re-inventing the wheel". Any
suggestions, ideas and recommendation are welcome.

Kind Regards,
Alex