On 1 March 2017 at 20:25, Olivier Mallassi <olivier.malla...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Rob, all
>
> Thank you rob for this. Could you please share more details regarding not
> using the "/"?

So there are a couple of reasons why I think not using a / makes sense:

1) Because of exactly the REST / encoding issue that you ran into - using
characters that often need escaping can cause a lot of issues in config
files, parameters etc...  depending upon where the queue name might be used
you may end up encoding that / one, two or even more times... this gets
messy fast

2) Because in AMQP addressing we've been imaging the / as a separator when
using some sort of topological address scheme for addressing in federated
networks... for instance you might have a queue for orders in you dongle
department of your widget division of your company foo.com... and you might
expose that address as //foo.com/widget/dongle/orders  whereas someone
connected directly to the broker would just see the queue as "orders"
(though they could also address it by its full "global" name).  The Java
Broker already makes some allowance for this with the notion of
"globalAddressDomains" which you can set on the virtual host.  For any
domain <foo> in the list of defined globalAddressDomains, the virtualhost
will accept messages sent <foo>/M as if it were sent to M (and the same
with consuming).

Also note that for the Java Broker an address of the form <exchange
name>/<routing key> can be used to send / receive via AMQP 0-x
exchange/routing-key semantics.

Hope this helps,
Rob