On 01/03/17 21:09, Rob Godfrey wrote:
On 1 March 2017 at 19:28, Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com> wrote:

On 01/03/17 18:14, Rob Godfrey wrote:

The link credit is an absolute value on the wire... but proton presents it
in relative terms.  If you had 500 units of credit outstanding and
flow(-500) and then flow(2), and you get 5 messages on the wire arriving
after that point... what state is your link credit in in Proton?

I would expect it to be 0.

Does it
make a difference if those 5 messages had been processed by Proton (but
not
received by the application) before the flow(2) was sent or not?

Yes, if the flow(2) was issued after the 5 messages were processed, I
would expect the credit to be 2.

OK - so do we ever expect Proton to cry foul if the sender sends beyond any
credit that it could reasonably be expected to have seen - or would we
leave this up to the application to detect?

That's a good question. I ran the test to see what would happen, half expecting proton to end the link with an error. If it does nothing at all to enforce the credit limit (even when not revoking previously granted credit), that is probably a concern. Would need a more involved test to determine that.