On 11 March 2017 at 22:35, Dan Langford <danlangf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks for explaining this all to me. i could swear that SCRAM-SHA-256 was
> giving me the error, but like you i tried to reproduce it again and could
> not. i must have tested poorly, not waited for some settings to take effect
> or was looking at prior results. sorry to take up your time. It does seem
> to be working as i would expect it.
>
> i did notice that many of the methods where deprecated which is why i was
> leaning towards the SCRAM-SHA-256. which Auth Provider would you say is the
> most secure and permits me to manage users and store passwords LOCALLY,
> within qpid?

Of the available methods in the Java Broker, SCRAM-SHA-256 is the one I
would recommend if you want the broker to manage the users/passwords
yourself and store them through the broker.  One consideration is that some
of the non-Java clients don't support SCRAM-SHA-256 because they use the
Cyrus SASL libraries, which only support SCRAM-SHA-1.  If you plan to use
any of those clients then I'd suggest SCRAM-SHA-1.

> I also am seeing so many things that behave differently or just don't work
> if there is not SSL involved.

The broker deliberately doesn't allow plain text passwords over non-TLS
connections (unless you explicitly disable these protections).

> I think this is great. for local DEV and POC
> work self signed certs can be annoying. So i dug around a little and
> realized i can use a self signed cert that QPID made for me and just
> include "transport.trustAll=true" in my connection string. this will give
> me a little more confidence that i am working towards a desired set up full
> of SSL even though im stuck using self-signed this early in our dev.

I'd certainly encourage using SSL/TLS in all environments.  We included the
auto-generating self-signed key store for precisely this purpose, to allow
TLS to be configured in dev environments without having to procure a
certificate authority.

-- Rob