By tripeling the number of JMS producers/consumers I could again max out the
CPU, however the messages rate is now still 40% lower than without having
failover enabled and fewer JMS producers/consumers.

The only reason I want to enabled the failover option is to have the qpid jms
client transparently reconnect to the broker in case of connection loss. I am
not really interested in failing over to another broker. Is there another
option that achieves transparent reconnect (but not necessarily failover)
without the measured performance penality?