Okay, it sounds like my approach was correct but unfortunately access to both
the footer and message-annotations are package-private so there isn't a clean
way to do what I want currently.  Also found an open issue related to
annotation access here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPIDJMS-153.

On 9/13/18, 11:54 AM, "Gordon Sim" <g...@redhat.com> wrote:

    On 13/09/18 19:40, Chuck Rolke wrote:
    > I'd put the signature in part of the 'bare message', such as application
properties, which passes from sender to receiver unmodified.

    That would require the signature to be in the bytes the signature signs.
    The 'footer' section was designed to be used for "message hashes, HMACs,
    signatures and encryption details" (section 3.2.9), but
    message-annotations would also work I think.