On Tue, 2020-08-18 at 04:55 +0000, Terry Rankine wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I am having trouble installing python-qpid-proton via pip – nothing I
> have tried seems to work, and I have the VS build tools installed,
> and I am inside the “build prompt” and then inside that I have opened
> the ‘anaconda prompt’, so my env is set up, but I still cant install
> it.
>
> Why don’t we ship the binaries? Why do windows users need to build
> this? Wasn’t that the point of eggs?
>
> Please let me know what other info I can provide to help with the
> ‘why this doesn’t build’ problem 😊
>
> (base) >conda list anaconda$
> # packages in environment at C:\Anaconda3:
> #
> # Name                    Version                   Build  Channel
> anaconda                  custom                   py38_1

Here is the sequence I use to get python-qpid-proton on windows

* Install Visual Studio 2019 (Community Edition) select the python
workload at least.

In my installation that puts a version of Python 3 in

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Shared\Python37_64\python.exe"

[I use Powershell]

I then create a virtual environment to help contain what I'm doing:

> & 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Shared\Python37_64\python.exe' -m venv py3-proton

For convenience activate the virtual environment:

> .\py3-proton\Scripts\Activate.ps1

Now you should be able to simply install python-qpid-proton with pip:

> pip install python-qpid-proton

Test:

> python
Python 3.7.5 (tags/v3.7.5:5c02a39a0b, Oct 15 2019, 00:11:34) [MSC
v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
>>> import proton
>>> proton
<module 'proton' from 'C:\\Users\\andrew\\py3-proton\\lib\\site-
packages\\proton\\__init__.py'>
>>> proton.VERSION
(0, 31, 0)

Hope this helps.

I will try to upload some wheels to pypi for the next release so this
should make the process alittle faster, but currently there are only
source packages available for 0.31.0.

Andrew