+1

On 3/11/21 7:21 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
Hi folks,

I would like to propose renaming our git repository default branches
from "master" to "main" in keeping with general efforts to remove
offensive language, and also aligning with it being the default naming
approach on new repositories in various places for some time now.

Having looked into doing this my understanding is that we simply
create the new branches ourselves, start using them, and then ask
infra to reconfigure the repository default branch both here and at
GitHub. After that is done, we can then remove the old branches at our
own discretion.

Various updates could be needed as part of the process. Some CI jobs
and scripts etc could need to be updated, maybe some READMES etc,
there could be links that need updated, etc. I would take care of
creating the branches, requesting INFRA update the repo defaults, and
ensuring the CI builds and website are in order during/after the
change. Committers would need to update their checkouts accordingly.
Folks with their own CI jobs etc elsewhere may also need to make any
updates as appropriate.

Barring discussion otherwise, I would look to begin the process next
week on Wednesday 17th.

I would create branches in all our repositories and send a notice mail
that it had been done, such that committers then make the swap over
for pushing new work. I would then ask infra to make the repository
changes, and proceed with updates to CI jobs etc. Perhaps adjusting
the READMEs on master to make things more obvious for anyone looking
at the repositories while it is still the default and/or both branches
exist. After all is done, we can consider when/whether to remove the
old branches.

Robbie

.

--