On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 at 14:02, Ken Giusti <kgiu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 5:40 AM Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I see that the latest
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DISPATCH-2234 commit
> > (https://github.com/apache/qpid-dispatch/commit/f0c7e93) was not
> > picked to the branch, and the JIRA was bumped to 1.20.0. I think that
> > is a mistake.  There are prior changes against that JIRA that are
> > already included in 1.19.x, which now have no JIRA assigned to 1.19.0
> > denoting their inclusion.
>
> That JIRA was not marked as resolved - it is in-progress.  To be
> honest were many unresolved JIRAs that had the "fixed in" attribute
> set to 1.19.0 - I didn't investigate each one to figure out which ones
> may have been partially resolved.  I trust the committers to set the
> resolution state properly.

I have had to tidy up more than enough improperly updated JIRAs for
releases to know people are really pretty bad at setting JIRA state
properly.

It might not be resolved yet (maybe as it wasnt backported?) but there
was clearly work done on it previously that is in 1.19.x already
either way, so it shouldnt be bumped out of the fix version.

> > Also, leaving the various updates that have
> > already been made out of the release just seems bizarre at this point
> > given recent mails about the router and their likely impact on
> > releases.
>
> IIUC none of these fixes on main have been marked as blockers against
> 1.19.0, correct?
>
> The code has been in the freeze/testing phase for two weeks and the
> RC1 date was communicated well in advance.  It is expected that any
> bug fixes that are blockers for 1.19.0 need to be cherry picked onto
> the release branch.  Since none of these were cherry picked over to
> the release branch during the two week test phase - nor were any
> requests made to include anything else on the freeze branch - I have
> no reason to believe they were intended to be included.

The JIRA is titled "Update JavaScript console packages for the 1.19.0
release", was targeted against 1.19.0, and the commit log was
"DISPATCH-2234: Update JavaScript console packages for the 1.19.0
release (round 2) (#1537)" which all makes me think it was intended
for inclusion.

There has been literally 1 commit on main in the weeks since the
freeze tag was made, the one being discussed.

> Also I see no reason we can't have a 1.20.0 in 4 months as per the
> usual release schedule.  Or even a 1.19.1 should something critical
> arise.  While it may be that overall development may be slower there's
> no reason not to drop a release if fixes/features have landed.  I'm
> more than willing to make that happen.
>
> Nonetheless: shall I cancel the 1.19.0-rc1 vote and merge the fixes on
> main down to 1.19.x?  I have no problem with that, but I'd want to
> have extra testing time before I propose an RC2 if that is the case.

I personally would in this case. Taking extra time before RC2 seems
fine if you want it, though equally not having any gap would also seem
fine in this case; people have already had weeks with no change to the
contents of RC1 already, but its not like anyone voted on it yet, and
as this change only alters the console bits and either it works or
doesnt, it could equally just be tested and voted on immediately
instead.