The -bin archive doesnt have a top level pom because it is the -bin
archive. It doesnt contain the full build, just the client+dependency
jars and a subdir with copy of the examples tree. The -src archive has
the full build and thus top level pom to build it all.

The examples dir in the -bin archive has a pom and is its own build,
which anyone running after it is released will find just works without
doing anything else first, as it will retrieve the 'parent' pom along
with all the other dependencies needed from Maven Central. However,
prior to release, these bits dont yet exist in a public repo that the
build looks at, and so the build will fail if not taking steps to make
them available to it some other way.

E.g. by adding the staging repository using the details in the
original mail (which contains the pre-built bits that will actually be
on Central upon actual release), so the parent pom and client deps can
be found there (temporarily) for testing that they work before
releasing them. You can either add the staging repo details to the
examples pom itself, or alternatively to an active profile within the
maven settings.xml file (making it available to builds, without
modifying them).

Alternatively, and what I guess you may have done before, you could
build and install the needed bits yourself to the maven local repo by
"mvn install" from the source archive first, before ever trying to run
the examples build. Maven would then find your locally-built installed
copy of the bits needed and use that, without needing to know about
the staging repo. Though then strictly speaking you aren't running
against specifically what most people will probably end up using once
it is actually released (the staged bits already built), just an
equivalent you have built yourself from the same sources.