On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 4:20 PM Do, Eling <l...@analogic.com.invalid> wrote:

> Thanks for your response Robbie.  It seems as though the error I'm getting
> comes from a released version of qpid-python that is automatically
> downloaded during the install (See below).  Do you know if there is a way
> to have it download a snapshot version that includes the fix for the
> python3 syntax errors or if there is a snapshot of qpid-cpp that would
> download a newer version of qpid-python that supports python3?  Sorry I am
> very new to qpid and github so I'm not very familiar with how to find
> specific snapshots on the site.

There is no such snapshot published anywhere. At some point we had a
prerelease version on PyPI for qpid-proton, though
https://pypi.org/project/python-qpid-proton/0.38.0.dev0/ so there is
precedent for doing things like this.

I should probably eventually learn how to get PyPI credentials... It should
be enough to upload them to GitHub and then use this nice workflow to do
PyPI releases
https://github.com/apache/qpid-python/blob/main/.github/workflows/python-publish.yml

Personally I am thinking about adding a CMake build option to qpid-cpp
which would tell it to go fetch qpid-python from a git repository, which I
then want to enable in CI, so that I get test results from the combination
of the two git heads.

>   File "/tmp/easy_install-u03_e80q/qpid-python-1.36.0-1/setup.py", line 42
>     raise DistutilsFileError, \
>                             ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

It is not yet completely fixed on qpid-python main. I still have there the
Python 2 `except:` written like

except os.error as (errno, errstr):

which needs to be changed. I guess I should also change the order of CI
steps for qpid-python, to first try to install the library, and only then
to run the tests. The current order means I get Python 3 failure on trying
to run tests, and install is not even attempted. For qpid-cpp install it is
enough if the qpid-python lib installs, it does not have to actually work
on Python 3. And making it work, resolving all the bytes/str issues
correctly, will take time.

I'm going to try what I just suggested next. For this evening I got insead
stuck on debugging disappearing tests after switching to the new module
importer (from __future__ import absolute import) ;(

Btw, regarding the disappearning tests on Python 3. The qpid-proton-python
uses the same bespoke testrunner and thus has the same problem
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-8170?focusedCommentId=17711533&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-17711533,
but since the test code there does not have nested modules and weird *
imports, this problem does not actually visibly manifest there.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Jiri Daněk