Hendrik Boom wrote at 09/06/2014 08:56 PM:
I gather that the current gnucash developer(s) have decided that
they would like to distance themselves from guile.  But it is still
alive and well as its report generator.

I was using Guile back when GnuCash was being developed in it. Guile seemed like a great choice for extension language for GnuCash, and still could be. (RMS was intending Guile to be the GNU extension/application language for all apps, which I suspect would've been Emacs-times-100 awesome, for how people make and share software enhancements, but events not Guile's fault ended that.)

Anyway, this evening, having just made my first GnuCash report, by adapting "balsheet-eg"... I have to say that the eguile report scripts aren't as pleasant to work with as they could be. It's easy to imagine someone thinking, ``This is scary and painful, and would be better in Python.'' GnuCash *could* be made better to provide a better API in Guile than is possible in Python, but is not currently.

I'm very fond of GnuCash overall, however.

Neil V.

 Racket Users list:
 http://lists.racket-lang.org/users