Antony Blakey wrote on 12/03/2014 10:09 PM:
I'm responsible for the Native L&F for VisualWorks Smalltalk (which is entirely
synthetic), and it's a big deal for many of our customers. Even on Windows.

Very glad to see a VisualWorks person here!

(Not everyone knows, but VisualWorks began pushing the envelope of emulating native GUI look&feel starting circa 1990. IIRC, you could be on your Sun workstation, and switch your VW image between different L&Fs quickly -- a list something like Open Look, Motif, MS Windows, MacOS, and the classic Smalltalk-80. VW was already doing this back when even big-name technical workstation apps didn't even try, and just used a look&feel specific to the app on every platform -- AutoCAD, Interleaf, sorta FrameMaker, etc. Of course, as Antony says, native L&F is harder nowadays, especially since users have become very sensitive to the nuances.)

Neil V.

 Racket Users list:
 http://lists.racket-lang.org/users