I was setting up a test case to submit as a compiler bug, and I think I have
found at least one source of bad things: see this extremely simple example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009";
                   xmlns:mx="library://ns.apache.org/royale/mx"
                   width="600" height="400" >
        <fx:Script>

        </fx:Script>
        <mx:Label text="Hello World"/>
</mx:Application>

If you initialise an XML variable in the first form (submit an XML string to
the constructor), everything works. If you use the second form (assigning an
XML literal as an initialiser) you get the missing assert function
exception, and the app doesn't initialise.

I will submit this but thought you might be interested as you have
experienced something similar.

Cheers
Jim