On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Justin Edelson <justinedel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I don't do a lot of document management, but I believe CQ, for example,
> stores a page's paragraphs in a multi-valued String property....

It's not like that, the paragraphs of CQ's "paragraph system" are
stored as child nodes of a node named "parsys" which is found under
the main content node. The tern "paragraph" has a wide sense here,
it's not just a single paragraph of text, it's more a sequential
component of the page content.

They have pretty much arbitrary unique names, something like

parsys/text1
parsys/textimage42
parsys/text9
parsys/image12
parsys/text5

So I think it's similar to Tony's problem: with JCR to avoid same-name
siblings you just need to set a unique name for each child node (or
let Sling choose it based on a name hint), name which does not
necessary mean something. Having somewhat descriptive names such as
the above ones helps in debugging and manipulating things, but it's
not a requirement. The numeric values in the node names also have no
meaning in this case.

Those are just very pragmatic best practices. It would be hard to find
a theoretical justification for the kind of names shown above, but
they work very well for us.

-Bertrand