Hmm, my genuine apologies, I'm not sure what custom application bits are. If
you're saying that I can deploy code that I write to Sling, that's
absolutely true, but my understanding is that I need to change the  runmode
BEFORE the Sling instance starts up for the very first time, and I can only
deploy my code to Sling OSGI AFTER the sling instance starts up for the very
first time.

I don't understand how to tell Sling to use oak_mongo instead of oako_tar.
Might only solution right now is to either unzip the war and change the
properties file before deploying for the first time, or to branch off the
Sling source code and rebuild with that property changed. Is this what the
Sling developers expect of me? It feels hacky. Isn't there a more
conventional way for me to control my runmodes?