It just works.

We have a central Postgres server with many cores, enough RAM for appropriate buffers and we have fine tuned postgresql.conf to achieve good performance and we are using WAL online archives to backup databases for "just in time" restores.

But we did not want to have the session table there, imagine all transactions/changements of the session table backuped to archive files and to tape.. ;-)

We're glad that the session table entry can use a completely different database instance for its session table. So it won't get backuped and it won't give megabytes of WAL logs just because users are doing something. A little Postgres instance with low memory and low performance data is sufficient - and it works.

Very nice and thank you!

Pascal
--
Pascal Gienger     Jabber/XMPP/Mail: pascal.gien...@uni-konstanz.de
University of Konstanz, IT Services Department ("Rechenzentrum")