Hi again,

first of all: my issue has now been solved, thanks again very much for your efforts!

What did I do:

* emerge --unmerge gnustep-make gnustep-base sope sogo
(removed everything with the Gentoo package manager. Interestingly, there were leftovers in /usr/local/ that I now removed manually. Previously, I didn't unmerge gnustep-make and hence didn't notice the leftovers.)

* downloaded and "make install"ed all the sources again

* edited the apache config to reflect the new paths

* i still got segfaults when starting from the init script, while it ran fine from the sogo-user's command prompt and via gdb. Root cause: the init script created /var/run/sogod.pid, but sogo expected it to be /var/run/sogo/sogod.pid . In the manual startup I pointed the pidfile to /tmp/xxx.pid which obviously worked around that.

What I learned:

* don't mix distro-provided packages with manual installs, or if you do and strange things happen, check again as you most probably did miss something.

I hope this will save some other people's time when they run into segfaults...

Best regards,

        -hannes