Hi MJ,

I’m probably one of the few that got it working. I’m using it on Debian 8, what
is your OS?

crudesaml was not working for me, since it needs at least a patched liblasso
(you find more on that in the archive, I’ve posted all my findings some weeks
ago).
My solution was relatively fast developed using PHP (I tried a shell script
first, but parsing XML etc. would have been hell):
https://github.com/ck-ws/pam-script-saml
<https://github.com/ck-ws/pam-script-saml>

Of course it would also be possible to just accept any password on the dovecot
side from localhost. I would try it as it’s documented for OpenChange.

Your problem isn’t really one: For Dovecot you can specify several passdb
lookups, I’ve done that also (one for localhost with the normal LDAP userdb,
one with PAM for SAML, and one using MySQL for Google-like app passwords), see
below:

# application specific passwords
passdb {
  driver = sql
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql-asp.conf.ext
}
# PAM (for SOGo SAML SSO login)
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
# normal login
passdb {
  driver = ldap
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  override_fields = allow_nets=local,127.0.0.1/32,::1
}
userdb {
  driver = prefetch
}
userdb {
  driver = ldap
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap-userdb.conf.ext
}

Of course you would need to apply your passwordless config in there. But I
don’t really like the thought of a passwordless mail access…

Also there is currently a problem with CAS/SAML authentication. See #3884:
https://sogo.nu/bugs/view.php?id=3884 <https://sogo.nu/bugs/view.php?id=3884>

Best regards,
Christoph